I don't think that's it. Seems others have the same issue:

http://www.nabble.com/flex-charts:-disable-default-verticalAxisRenderer-issue-td22309463.html

Even if I do what that thread suggests as below, I get a gap on the left
when the right axis is added.

           private function buildAxisRenderers(showLeftAxis:Boolean,
showRightAxis:Boolean):Array {

            // Workaround
            var verticalAxisRenderer:AxisRenderer = new AxisRenderer();
            verticalAxisRenderer.visible = false;
            verticalAxisRenderer.height = 0;
            verticalAxisRenderer.width = 0;
            verticalAxisRenderer.setStyle("showLabels", false);
            lineChart.verticalAxisRenderer = verticalAxisRenderer;

              if (showLeftAxis && showRightAxis)
                  return [ leftAxisRenderer, rightAxisRenderer];
            if (showLeftAxis && !showRightAxis)
                  return [ leftAxisRenderer ];
            if (showRightAxis && !showLeftAxis)
                return [ rightAxisRenderer ];