Sorry I meant of course:

ContainerObj1's children property is a sorted ArrayCollection (although I
tried that removing sort has no effect on this issue). If I scroll the ADG
so that ChildContainerObj1 and it's children are not visible and
programmatically add new ChildContainerObj4 (it has it's own children too!)
by calling

ContainerObj.children.addItem(ChildContainerObj4 );

Then the error occurs. It seems to occur quite randomly when adding or
removing nodes depending how nodes are opened and ADG scrolled.