Alex... I've tested it out and it works nicely... Thanks again!

No I just need to learn about animated transistions so it's bounces between
the sizes... :-)

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute"
styleName="plain">

<mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[

        private function resizeDG(objDG:DataGrid):void{
            if(objDG.rowCount < 12)
                objDG.rowCount = 12;
            else
                objDG.rowCount = 6;
        }

    ]]>
</mx:Script>

    <mx:VBox x="10" y="10" height="100%">
        <mx:DataGrid id="DG1">
            <mx:columns>
                <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 1" dataField="col1"/>
                <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 2" dataField="col2"/>
                <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 3" dataField="col3"/>
            </mx:columns>
        </mx:DataGrid>
        <mx:Button label="Button" id="button1" click="resizeDG(DG1);"/>
        <mx:DataGrid id="DG2">
            <mx:columns>
                <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 1" dataField="col1"/>
                <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 2" dataField="col2"/>
                <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column 3" dataField="col3"/>
            </mx:columns>
        </mx:DataGrid>
        <mx:Button label="Button" id="button2" click="resizeDG(DG2);"/>
    </mx:VBox>

</mx:Application>