I wonder if is even possible to use the filter function with hierarchical XML,
as all of the examples I have seen are of array collections or flat XML?

This I think is the problem - the complete data provider is being passed into
the item parameter of the filter i.e. the xml hierarchy in its entirety. I am
presuming that the filter wants  one "row" at a time so it can do its compare.
Where do I have control of this? I am not sure I do since the only code is

lstRepRankDrill.filterFunction = filterRepRankDtlChnl;

The data provider is

dataProvider="{lstRepRankDrill[0].record}" in order to dig into the XML
hierarchy to get to the data. (Wrapper nodes are returned by SQL back end.