I am creating software for my work. I want to have RichText support, but I do
not like the RichTextEditor from the mx package. Any way to use the rich text
editing (bold, italicizing, hyperlinking, etc) without using the actual
component? I would like to use the RTE bar in the top of my application and
have it detect the selected text (like it does now) but for multiple text
areas...any ideas or tutorials or examples?

Or any example on how to detect selected text and make the changes (bolding
,etc)? All my Google searches come up how to selected text that matched
whatever you entered in a textinput. Not quite the same. Thanks!