OK, I believe I have found the cause of the problem.

The problem happens when I add a viewstack that is part of a container being
added to a state with <mx:AddChild>

If I set up a sample app with a tab navigator and three canvases, each tracing
preinit, init, and creationComplete then I get this:

Canvas 1 preinit
Canvas 2 preinit
Canvas 3 preinit
Canvas 1 init
Canvas 1 creationComplete

This is as expected.

If however, I use states (create a new state, add the tabnavigator to the state
with AddChild, then activate the state) I get this:

Canvas 1 preinit
Canvas 1 init
Canvas 2 preinit
Canvas 2 init
Canvas 3 preinit
Canvas 3 init
Canvas 1 creationComplete
Canvas 2 creationComplete
Canvas 3 creationComplete

This is the problem!  The application is driven by states (init, login, and
runtime) and each state "draws" the gui by adding a vbox container with the gui
inside it.

ALL of my viewstack containers are getting initialized because of
creationComplete firing!

How do I make navigator deferred instantiation work with states?