I was able to get the event happening by changing the component code to be:

private function postInit():void {
    Application.application.addEventListener("buttonLabelEvent",
buttonLabelHandler);
}

but now the event seems to trigger 3 times for every tab change but doesnt
trigger on the first tab change...

And the app takes forever to compile as well...

Something still not right..

Please help..