Man, I'm doing a terrible job communicating my problems.

So I want  way for other components to inspect each other to see if they've
completed.  I can't just listen to the event, because the creation could have
happened before I ever had a reference to the component to start listening.
I'm wondering if there's a way to inspect a component that you've just now been
given a reference to, that may or may not have created itself already.