While I agree that building out something would be great. That's probably not
possible right now.

- But showing them applications which are not fit for how the organization does
business may also give a wrong impression of Flex and how the development
platform would enable your business bottom line.  Stake holders think beyond
what they only see - they are more interested in figures and how something
would "CERTAINLY" improve their business.

I think if they could see a couple of slick data viz apps, they'd suddenly "get
it".

- Showing them slick data apps that does not translate to how they do their
business.  They would understand better if the application that you are going
to show them is something that is utilized in your organization.  As Steve has
pointed out, he did something which their organization sees as something
valuable (first with JS/AJAX) and later with Flex.  Perhaps you could interpret
which way that Steve's organization chose.

HTH

Angelo