I actually raised this at FOTB, whilst no one had a definitive answer it's
possible the cause of this stems from the Browser Plugin APIs available for
the Flash Player to leverage. FP relies on the browser for it's REST
implmentation (AIR offers full support apparently) and as such can only get
at what the plugin api offers.

However, this isn't necessarily STILL the case but could have been in older
browsers. No one I spoke to had the answer for sure so I'd still be very
interested in a more precise explanation.

--
http://danny-t.co.uk