"head-in-the-sand comment got me fired up "
As did the statement that bad memory issues in AIR were down to bad coding.

Ok we probably are comming at this from a different scale, the number of
modules on our app runs in to the hundreds not 30 so we probably have quite a
different perspective, but like Jack I have been coding for over 30 years, the
last 10 in actionscript, I do nothing other than pure AS coding (I logged
140hrs in pure flex development last week alone and we have 7 other developers
as well) and I know for a fact that even with the best coding you still have
memory/cpu issues with AIR/flex that simply can't be avoided.