--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "benjamine_df" <benjamine...@...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I am new to flex and I make lot of mistakes by calling a method or
>  field in an object which does not exist. But flex builder 3 doesn't
> seem to throw a compile error when I do this. In java it would be a
> quick compile error. Is there any flex builder setting I can set to
> give compile errors.
>
> Example
> var data:Dictionary = new Dictionary();
> data.length   //no compile error for this
> data[indexint]  //no compile error

Create your own typed objects if you want type checking:

public clas YourClass {
   public var indexInt:int;
   public var length:int;
}

var yourClass:YourClass = newYourClass();

var foo:String = YourClass.foo; //compiler error

I'm pretty sure Java wouldn't throw a compiler error if you add or access a
previously nonexistent key to a Dictionary, either, since that's pretty much
the point of a Dictionary in most languages, isn't it?

-Amy