Because HTTP service is expecting to handle the response. You want the
browser to handle the response so you need to use navigateToURL:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="vertical">
     <mx:Script>
         <![CDATA[
             private function onButtonClick():void
             {
                 navigateToURL(new
URLRequest("http://creativity-online.com/api/image_watermark.php?workId=\
17593"), "_top");
             }
         ]]>
     </mx:Script>
     <mx:Button label="Download File" click="onButtonClick()"/>
</mx:Application>

HTH

Steve