The sample code in the Adobe Docs sends a GET which I think makes it HTTP.  As
far as I can tell the binary socket doesn't support UDP.  Somewhere in the
internals it must be presuming TCP or HTTP - or maybe RTMP.  Anyway, it looks
like my suspicions were right.  I'll ask another question about what protocol
Flex developers are using to communicate between clients for multi-player games.