Apologies for resurrecting a somewhat old thread, but since my searches
turned me up here and I spent several hours today working on this issue I
thought it would be appropriate.

Here's is the code I came up with that mostly solves this.
My source data is just a basic XMLListCollection.
The renderer "colSpanningHeader" is a basic label component. I did nothing
but make it align center

<mx:AdvancedDataGrid id="gridTemplates" left="10" right="10" top="10"
bottom="50">
        <mx:dataProvider>
                <mx:GroupingCollection id="gc" source="{xmllTemplates}">
                        <mx:Grouping>
                                <mx:GroupingField name="templateType">

                                </mx:GroupingField>
                        </mx:Grouping>
                </mx:GroupingCollection>
        </mx:dataProvider>
        <mx:columns>
                <mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn id="hidCol" headerText="" width="0"
visible="True"/>
                <mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn dataField="name" headerText="Formal
Name"
width="280"/>
                <mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn dataField="abbreviation"
headerText="Short
Name" width="150"/>
                <mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn dataField="insertDate"
headerText="Date
Created" width="150"/>
        </mx:columns>
        <mx:rendererProviders>
                <mx:AdvancedDataGridRendererProvider column="{hidCol}" depth="1"
columnSpan="4"
                        renderer="colSpanningHeader"/>
        </mx:rendererProviders>
</mx:AdvancedDataGrid>

I find one problem with this, I can't completely get rid of the first
column. It makes my grid look a little tacky.

Anyone out there know how I can get this same method of grouping without
showing the first column? I don't want a folder tree, I just want a header
row for each group.
Thanks
~mike