I am assuming that your list control has a set width and height. If you have
variableRowHeight=true, or you want a variable row height, then this answer
probably isn't what you are after.

1. Currently you are using Image as a base class. The way item renderers
work, the width, height, and background can be controlled by the item
renderer's parent. I think you would want to wrap your Image within a
canvas, so that the image's dimensions won't be controlled by the parent,
and can instead be set by you. The parent of the renderer will set the
width/height of the canvas, and you can set the image width/height.

2. I don't know what a PopupMenu is. Is that the dropdown that is created by
a ComboBox?