The problem was Firefox's popup blocker.  I unblocked popups and now I see the
tracebacks.  Unfortunately what I would have liked to do was to block most
popups, and enter my file:// URL from my local app I'm building, into the
exception list.  But Firefox doesn't seem to accept a file:// URL in the popup
exception list.

Now I'll have to endure lots of popups <groan>

Thanks a lot for all the help.