I do not believe you can inside Flex. If someone else knows differently, please
chime in.

You should be able to create a custom component with a timer and keyboard event
listeners to simulate what you want.

This blog post might be a good starting point:

http://joshblog.net/2008/01/17/source-code-for-custom-textfields-with-cool-effects/