While I've been able to apply some CSS styles (e.g. fontFamily,
fontSize, fontWeight, fontStyle, letterSpacing) to the content of <p>
elements and to indidivual class selectors in the htmlText of a TextArea
in an AIR application (FB4 beta2),  attempts to
set other styles, such as padding and margin, have not worked.  Are padding and
margin
not implemented? If not, will they be?

CSS + HTML are a powerful duo. I hope Adobe has plans to exploit this
capability fully for the TextArea in AIR applications. For many
text-presentation purposes CSS support would be entirely adequate, and
typographic control would offer far more precision and granularity than is
actually needed while introducing unnecessary complexity. Not that typography
isn't a very slick feature, but please don't let CSS+HTML fall by the wayside.

Regards
Tim