I created a custom event to pass a string with, shown here:

package events
{
import flash.events.Event;
public class ConfigFileEvent extends Event
{
public var configFile:String;
public function ConfigFileEvent(type:String, configFile:String)
{
super(type);
this.configFile = configFile;
}
override public function clone():Event {
return new ConfigFileEvent(type, configFile);

I then have in my main class an event metadata tag, a dispatch and event
listener shown here:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
creationComplete="initApp()" >
<mx:Metadata>
[Event(name="ConfigFileEvent", type="event.ConfigFileEvent")]
</mx:Metadata>
<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
import event.ConfigFileEvent;
import events.ConfigFileEvent;
private function initApp(): void {
//simulate the getting of a config file from RO and once done sending out the
event;
var temp:String = "This works";
var myConfigFileEvent:ConfigFileEvent = new ConfigFileEvent("ConfigFileEvent",
temp);
dispatchEvent(myConfigFileEvent);
//now register to listen for the event
this.addEventListener(ConfigFileEvent.CONFIG_FILE_EVENT, eventCalled);
}
private function eventCalled(event:ConfigFileEvent): void {
//
}
]]>
</mx:Script>
</mx:Application>

 However Flex builder won't compile because of the error:

Access of possibly undefined property CONFIG_FILE_EVENT through a reference
with static type Class. in the addEventListener line.  Can someone provide a
better insight as to this error and what it is that I am doing wrong?