Sorry about multiple posts. Here is the update,

The compilation error was due to having mxmlc.jar in CLASSPATH from SDK 3.4
while FLEX_HOME was pointing to SDK 3.4 installation. Once I
went back to SDK 3.3, air installer created on Linux started working
on Windows again.

I also created the dump of the configuration files(using -dump-config option)
during the build on both Linux & Windows while (using SDK 3.4 on bothe Linux &
Windows) & there was hardly any difference. Seems that there is some problem
definitely.

Thanks,
Aejaz