Dates are always tricky, you could parse the string and determine which section
is which. 4 chars = year, >12 = day, etc but there will always be problems.
What happens when a user enters 08/09/10 (or any day month year that leave
ambiguity. IMO it is better to force the user to use a convention or a picker
than to try to determine which format they used.