While I don't have any cold hard facts about MXML vs AS performance I'd wager
that, all things equal, AS out performs MXML.

As far as my practice, I typically use MXML for layout and do everything else
in AS.  Coming from a web dev/HTML background I find it very easy to visualize
a layout written in MXML and feel that any lost performance (which is probably
minimal) allows me increased productivity as a developer.