Hi Warren,

While the displayDropdown method is private, the methods which call it (downArrowButton_buttonDownHandler & keyDownHandler) are both protected. You can override these 2 methods and have them call a new private method which can mimic the behaviour of displayDropdown along with the new functionality you want to add.

Hope this helps,

Tibor.

www.tiborballai.com

Warren wrote:
I'm want to make a ComboBox on which I can force the dropdown menu to go up or down. It should be a simple matter of adding a variable and changing the way the displayDropdown method works. I tried extending the ComboBox and overriding the displayDropdown method but I can't do that since the method is private. How can I do this with my own class ? I feel like I'm missing something basic here..... I'm using Flex 3.2.0 SDK Thanks!