Thank you Claudiu for the response.

I was using a custom item renderer, and yet the blue highlight for selection
was still appearing, so I knew the change had to do with the Item Renderer
class, not the skin.

There is a property "autoDrawBackground" in itemRenderer, that when set to
false, stops drawing the selection highlight.

Thanks again.