I agree that slashes in filename is pretty stupid but it does seem to be how
Mac OS handles it and it is what the user expects.  If I didn't know better I'd
probably expect the same thing.  Like I said in my original post: it's a
problem that's not a problem and yet it is.

Anyway, thanks for the idea but I don't think it will work.  Even if I store
the original file url and name I'll have no way of knowing if subsequently
added slashes are meant to be in the name or should be interpreted as folder.

I think the solution is to adjust user expectations.