That recommendation has some merit, but the use of Flex in no way depends on
HTML, PHP, or CSS (though it helps). Flex is a front-end GUI builder, since it
uses actionScript it would be helpful to have some background in other
ecmaScript languages (like javaScript), but it isn't required.

Flex is limited in being able to connect to Databases and does require a little
knowledge of php and sql (or whatever your back-end language is) in order to
get and store data.

I develop in Flex and php, I never used php before October, but it was simple
to learn enough to connect my Flex app to a database.

I guess what I'm  saying is that your friend is neither right or wrong. It
really depends on you. Did you learn to swim by starting in the shallow end and
working your way into the deep? Or did you jump right into the lake?