I am trying to implement a contextual help system in a large flex app that's
using pureMVC.  Has anyone tried this at an enterprise app level?

I am wondering the best way to architect this so help can be contextually
available at module level, and even at component level.

I have started by creating a helpManager Class that is registered with the
Facade that carries a basic XML, holding 'keys' for individual modules and
components throughout the site.  This XML is loaded in at app init time, and
iterated through to create a contextualHelpSet Object.  This object is then
searched everytime a new location or interaction occurs in the app.  If this
location/interaction has a key associated with it inside the object, a help
button appears to show the user that help is available, and the key also
provides the proper path to the corresponding help document.

I have a few questions.

Iterating through an object on every location/interaction seems pretty
expensive.  Is there an equivalent of a Hash Map or a fast enough type of
search that would make this perform optimally?  Or, another approach altogether?

Would I be better off creating a property on each location/object for its
contextual help information, instead of searching for a key in a centralized
object that contains all the help info?

Any ideas are welcome!  Thanks