GeorgeB wrote:
> Hi all. hi Tom, hi Nick, hi Wally
>
> I have to thank you for your understanding! The common denominator of all
> answers on why the new version of Flex Builder 3 should be renamed to Flash
> Builder 4 is "WTF No big deal". Or better, as Tom put it: "Just marketing
> bollocks!!" LOL

It may just be a name, but as your post shows people are confused by
these changes and it is worse for people who don't understand what Flex
is. A ton of people still associate flash with childish eye candy.
> Then I can call myself anything I like, as long as I keep exercising
> succesfully my discipline writting code in a framework used to be called Flex
> Builder (plug-in IDE to Eclipse) and now called Flash Builder IDE. What's
> bugging me is that all my current work done for the last 2 years, has to be
> referencing as been done in a non-existing (now obsolete?) framework, that as
> time goes will have its trade name placed next to T-Rex. As I understand it,
> this marketing decision is devaluating my investment in a development
> platform. (Not my first time unfortunatelly)

Nobody has said the Flex framework is going anywhere.
> Although not a stickler, I believe marketeers shouldn't be creating a mess
> out of logic. Like presenting us a product named Flash Builder4 with no
> previous Flash Builder3. If they think Flash Builder IS the name, why don't
> they call this "new" product just "Flash Builder v1"? Or, are they afraid
> this would confuse the market?

Adobe is getting into a mess with product names.
> BTW should this "Flexcoders" group be renamed to "Flashcoders"?  Or keep it
> going as is? (Resembling groups of practicioners in now extinct obscure arts,
> black magic etc? if you excuse me the pun..)

It's still coding using MXML and the Flex class framework, so I don't
see that the name should change. I didn't see that the tool name should
have changed either - for the same reason.

Paul
> Thanks all for the very thoughtful replies
> George
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Wally Kolcz <wko...@...> wrote:
>
>> 1.) Keeping all their items more focused on the 'Flash Platform'.
>> 2.) Call yourself a 'Flash Developer specializing in the Flex
>> Framework'. Flex is not a language, its a Framework. It runs your
>> application on a 2 frame time line. Frame 1 is the application loader,
>> Frame 2 is your application. MXML gets compiled into ActionScript. All
>> tags are easy representations of true AS classes. It is created for
>> speed. Kinda like how ColdFusion is compiled into Java. You can create
>> full working Flex apps without any MXML. I guess if you are worried
>> about being confused with an animator call yourself a 'ActionScript
>> Developer specializing in the Flex Framework'
>> 5.) Doubt it too. They seem just to be aligning all the products related
>> to Flash with Flash (Flash Builder, Flash Professional, Flash Catalyst)
>> 6.) Blaze will probably remain around as a lesser version of LCDS. You
>> lose some really cool features, but don't pay the monster price tag. I
>> think Adobe knows that some of the success of Flash/Flex is that
>> streaming data interaction and to only offer a pay version (LCDS) would
>> stunt the growth of the community. Not all independant developer, web
>> hosts, or small-mid companies can afford the full LCDS price tag.
>>
>> On 2/2/2010 4:42 AM, GeorgeB wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am a fully occupied Flex v3 developer, and don't have spare time to
>>> switch to Flex v4 before the projects I work on are over and done.
>>> While on the side subject that Gordon Smith (post 152124) raised, may
>>> I ask for reasonable answers? (since what I read worry me a lot about
>>> the future of my projects support from Adobe):
>>>
>>> 1. What was the meaning of Adobe changing the name from Flex Builder
>>> (v3) to Flash Builder, while keeping the upgrade path from v3 to v4?
>>> 2. I used to call myself a Flex developer, i.e MXML plus AS3
>>> programmer. Should I have to call myself a Flash developer from now on?
>>> 3. I understand there were Flash developers around since the very