Quick follow-up. It does appear to be important that a dynamic column have a
valid dataField property, even though it has a labelFunction to actually
determine the displayed value. I ran into a situation where the little
triangle was jumping from the currently sorted column to the first column
when the data source was refreshed, without actually sorting that column.

I'm not sure why this was not an issue in the little test case I posted a
couple of messages ago, and I'm also not sure what one should do when there
are two dynamic columns derived from the same underlying property. But I
thought I'd mention this, as it solved one problem I was seeing.