From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcod...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Peeyush Tuli
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 6:47 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Strategies for switching between testing and
deployment addresses

you can always read the ip address from an  xml file at application startup
and bind your service to it..

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:30 AM, David Adams <dpad...@gmail.
<mailto:dpad...@gmail.com> com> wrote:

I've been writing some small programs that use HTTPService calls to
fetch data from a back-end. During testing, I'm using 127.0.0.1 or an
IP address on my subnet. When I deploy, I update the IP address in
service definitions to the right external address and build the app.
Or at least I mean to. It's all too easy to accidentally change the
addresses for internal testing and then forget to switch them back
before building.

Is there a best practice or simple strategy for putting the IP address
somewhere outside of the source code that it can easily be edited
without a rebuild?

Thanks for any advice.