Best practices for partitioning users?

I'm building an app that will be used by lots of users who will be
segregated according to the organisation to which they belong. No real
problem there, though I am wondering about the "username space".

Usernames need to be unique, but the question is should the username be
unique across all users, or just users from the same organisation?

Seems to me that if it is "users from the same organisation" then I need
a neat way to allow the system to recognise which organisation a user
belongs to before they attempt to log in (the user shouldn't have to
specifically identify the organisation as well). The only way I can
think of to do this is to use differrent URLS for each organisation so
that the system can identify the organisation without the user having to
knowingly identify themselves.

Any thoughts?

Paul