Do I infer correctly that your HTTPService is working properly but that you're having problems when binding the results to the GUI?
You can see the data that has been returned?

Are you using ResultEvent or AsyncResponder? If you're using AsyncResponder with the public release of the beta, note below:

// these handlers stubs are necessary because of Adobe bug http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-22883
        protected function onFaultEventHandler(e:FaultEvent): void{};
        protected function onResultEventHandler(e:ResultEvent):void {};

override protected function onResult(e:ResultEvent , token:Object=null):void {

var ans: String = decodeURI(e.result.toString()); // UTF-8 to string

// I am using JSON, not XML, and here the results are converted to an ArrayCollection // and then an event is dispatched which the GUI is listening for, passing the ArrayCollection

Regards
Tim Romano