I agree with Rick.  For all net calls, I have a timer going and a simple queue
that is populated when sending each request.  When and if they return sometime
later, they are removed from the queue.  If requests aren't received by some
set timeout, they are ignored.

I employ the use of tokens for each request so I know if I should ignore them
or not if they are expired by my timeout.  You could also log the failure to
the server or trace if you want to track them.

james