As I understand it, certain pieces of The Flash Player it are licensed from
other companies and included.  Such agreements probably do not give Adobe the
ability to distribute source code.

One thing that comes to mind i that Flash Player would lose The ability to play
H.264 video.

I don't think open sourcing the Flash Player would have any effect on the
ability of other developers to create Flash based IDEs.