That is basically what I came up with for the solution last night. Thank
you!

dataGrid.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent.KEY_DOWN, myKeyDownHandler);

function myKeyDownHandler(event:KeyboardEvent):void {
    var position:Number;
    if (event.keyCode == Keyboard.RIGHT) {
       position = dataGrid.horizontalScrollPosition + 1
       dataGrid.horizontalScrollPosition = Math.min(position,
columns.length);
    }
    if (event.keyCode == Keyboard.LEFT) {
       position = dataGrid.horizontalScrollPosition - 1
       dataGrid.horizontalScrollPosition = Math.max(position, 0);

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/mx/controls/AdvancedDataGridBas\
\