Not sure where you got the idea that I'm validating. I'm actually loading a
node to use for configuration information for a mock api (where the mock api
has parameters which may or may not have non-null values). If the configurer
chooses to specify a configuration for a specific company and  location I
want to pick that node when the api user provides a company and location as
inputs. The node with no attributes would be the default configuration. I
can certainly see that I could require that the nodes all have the same
attributes with some specifying a "null" value, but I think the approach
we've arrived at makes for a cleaner configuration file.

With a database I can say

select where company="google"

or I can say

select where company="google" and location = "seattle"

The column values can be nullable so I don't have to specify a value for
each column in each row.

Anyway, I'm happy with the solution, I mean no disrespect for E4X, and
perhaps my usage is atypical. Thanks for the help!