Ok, I'm encountering yet another bug.  3 found in the past 4 days...
I'm beginning to think the FB4 data management is pretty buggy and not a
lot of time was spent cleaning it up...

I'm still not sure I understand the data management functionality very
well but I found this article that helped a bit as far as code goes:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/fcf_managing_data_print.html

The issue seems to be that the update function doesn't like it when
there are multiple fields being updated in the single call.  I had a
foreign key that I was not adding to a dataGrid for display so that
value was coming up null in my update function.

Here's the buggy part....

I added a DataGridColumn for that field and set visible="false" then
re-ran the program and received the same error:

"Local item has changes to properties that conflict with remote change."

I decided I wanted to see that value to make sure it was getting
populated correctly so I set it to visible="true" then re-ran...

All of a sudden it was working.  The value should still exist if
visible="false" is set on the DataGridColumn.

2 days of wasted time on this one... UG.  I wish I could have found
better documentation on how the process works (or any documentation at
all...)  I would have at least realized that it's expecting to update
only one field at a time.

sj