The creationPolicy all method indeed resulted in extremely slow startup time.   In the end, in the initialize method of the <Application> I explicitly called createComponent(0, true) on the parent of the component I wanted to force initialization on and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the help.

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gordon Smith
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:42 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Force initialization of ViewStack children?

That's the brute force way. It causes all controls in all panes of the ViewStack to get created at startup, and so will cause your app to start up slower.

A better way is to initialize the control would be in the childrenCreationComplete event on the pane of the ViewStack where it lives. That event is dispatched when the user navigates to that pane, after the controls on it have undergone deferred instantiation.

You could also try simply writing a creationComplete handler for the control itself.

- Gordon