From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcod...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of dorkie dork from dorktown
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:15 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Proper way to ensure components in a different state
are created

When I try to access components that are in a different state on the
line after I set the current state I get this error,
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null
object reference.

// code
currentState = NOTES;
noteComponent.text = value; // noteComponent exists in NOTES state and
is not created yet

I know this is because of the Flex invalidation cycle and I'm aware I
could use databinding and I know I could use callLater. But if I
needed to create the components immediately for only the state I'm
going to how would I do that?

Custom Component:
<Group>

<states>