It appears that when you close a node in a tree control, the selection (of a
contained node) is lost, but no change event is fired.

Does this sound like a bug?

I'm trying to restore tree state (selection and open nodes) across a service
call. I've got the open nodes working pretty well and the refresh use case
also mostly works (I store the selection as guids from the objects in
question and find them again after the refresh). But it seems I will have to
handle openItem and closeItem, and clear the guid-based selection if the
node is contained in the path being closed.