I found out what was happening.  I had a global deactivate handler (I don't
want this particular app running in the background).  Apparently, this gets
called by Android when switching orientation.  The whole app de-activates,
then re-activates in a new orientation.  So, handling that, fixed my
app disappearing issue.  It was disappearing because I was killing it :)

Thanks for talking this through.

-Jake