Today the popularity of the Flash Player is hard to deny.

Even Microsoft currently uses it in some of there latest web sites such as “Microsoft @ 30”

Anyway I think Microsoft would come under a lot of heat if they attempted to drop all use of it from there future browser releases and would be better off looking at other methods to promote their own products.

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Dowdell
Sent: Monday, 10 October 2005 3:00 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Will browsers support FlashPlayer in the future?

Aldo Bucchi wrote:
> Is there a chance that any major browser might simply cut support for
> the Flash Player Plugin at some point?

Anything's possible, but I do know that daily adoption of new Macromedia
Flash Player greatly outweighs the new adoption of any browser or
operating system.

Here's the list of current distribution partners:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/partners/

Here's a recent comparison of XP adoption rates:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Windows_XP_Adoption_Rates_Slow/1118943913
compared to 48% for Win2000, in the years after XP's release in 2001.
(In comparison, Macromedia Flash Player has historically hit 80%
adoption within a year, and will likely quicken in the future with new
auto-update.)

Being included in default OS and browser installations is great,
naturally, but consumers update their Flash capabilities much more
quickly than they update their browsing or system capabilities.

Do you feel that this information will be useful for your client...?

jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd