> This is essentially correct, although I don't yet have a good
> example of the SVG that might be used.  All I'd like to do at
> this stage is have an mx:Button which highlights a
> corresponding polygon.  The data could conceivably be
> embedded, I wouldn't be intending to load in new SVG files on
> the fly.  I don't have a proper project yet, it's very much a
> proof-of-concept thing.

I believe that it makes sense for Flex to import SVG as an efficient
mechanism for transcoding textual vector data down to a more efficient
binary SWF represententation.  As of yet, it has not made as much sense
to do the extensive work necessary to support SVG DOM scripting, given
that Flash has a more robust and better supported programming model.
Purists get twitchy about our
almost-but-not-quite-fully-standards-compliant implementation, but
honestly, its often been tough to even justify a single concrete
business case for implementing SVG at all.

I think your use case is interesting, but at this level, it really
wouldn't be rocket science for you to just import the XML at runtime and
draw it yourself.  It would not take:

> The best solution is probably the one that doesn't require me
> to be a complete Flash guru.  :o)

as your case is really very simple.  Vectors and fills are at the
trivial end of Flash gurudom.  Another option might be to separate the
data into multiple SVG "documents", and to composite the individual
polygons using code.

> Having the Flex server translate the SVG into the final SWF
> sounds like the best solution to me, if it can be done.  It
> seems I either treat SVG as an image, but then I can't
> manipulate it, or I treat it as XML, in which case Flex won't
> let me display it.

I can imagine us providing some sort of access to the various subpieces
of the SVG DOM from Actionscript, biased towards "getting stuff
accomplished" rather than "pedantic standards compliance".  File a
"wish" if this would be valuable to you.

> Thank you for all of your suggestions.  I've searched as you
> suggested and found DENG (Flash-based SVG rendering) as well
> as an article by Helen Triolo, these certainly sound like
> avenues worth exploring.

DENG kicks serious booty.  I've seen DENG render SVG faster than some
native renderers!

-rg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM