--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In-line with the ADMIN's recent guidelines, may I
> suggestion one more? ... and that would be that when
> someone goes into detail about something, that they,
> if it's convenient, provide URLs to places where those
> who are less experienced can begin to learn about the
> technology mentioned; e.g. GZIP on both the FLEX and
> Web Service side.  I intend to use Apache Tomcat and
> I'm hoping that a JSP environment and using the
> NetBeans IDE proves well for this.

I think that's great advice.  Let me start.

GZIP is described here:

http://www.gzip.org/

Since you are using Tomcat you dont need to do anything in your code
to turn on GZIP compression.  Tomcat's Coyote connectors support GZIP
natively and are *extreemly* configurable when it comes to turning it
on and off as well as when/if compression occurs.  Please check out
the Tomcat admin guide at

See the "compression" attribute of the <Connector> tag in server.xml.

NetBeans.  Well, that has nothing to do with this.  An IDE is an IDE.

As for using say the <mx:WebService> tag, please simply refer to the
Flex documentation.

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.