I have big problems understanding something.

I basically want to build UI components which modify underlying XML so
that I can send the modified XML back to the server.  I want to bind
some TextInput components to portions of the XML and when I change the
text then I want the XML to be automatically updated.  This doesn't
seem possible, and if it is, it doesn't seem very easy.

Using OpenLaszlo here is a simple, but complete program for modifying
the price of a list of items:

<canvas height="400" debug="true" >
<debug y="200" />
<dataset name="inventory" >
  <items>
  </items>
</dataset>

<view>
  <simplelayout axis="y" />
  <!-- Laszlo creates a replicated view for each
       of my item -->
  <view datapath="inventory:/items/item" >
    <text datapath="name/text()" />
    <edittext x="100" datapath="price/text()">
       <method event="onblur">
           this.datapath.updateData();
       </method>
    </edittext>
  </view>

  <button onclick="Debug.write( canvas.datasets.inventory.serialize() )">
   Dump XML</button>

</view>
</canvas>

You can try running it here:
http://www.laszlosystems.com/lps-3.0/laszlo-explorer/editor.jsp?src=docs/guide/programs/preface-$2.lzx

I can change the prices on the screen, and the underlying XML is
automatically updated through the use of the updateData() method.

Does this two-way binding exist in Flex 2.0 ?

I see how you can add a mouseOut handler, but I don't see how to push
the data back into the XML model from where it came from without some
fancy code in the handler.. can someone tell me how to do this?

Cheers,
  Don

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM