Subject: Re: Google AdSense

Thanks Jester,

Do you or anyone else have any recommendations on how
this can occur in a Text component; i.e.
adSense.htmlText = <something> and then have the
_javascript_ that's required for AdSense included in the
page.

Or am I mis-understanding what's possible here?

Although there seems to be a small culture out there
that doesn't like Full Flash sites; my clients love
it.

-r

As JesterXL said, the TextArea will only display HTML and not _javascript_.  I'm sure you could find a way to embed the _javascript_ in the surrounding HTML page and then find a way to link to it using the _javascript_/Flash Integrating kit on OSFlash.org, or use an IFrame as suggested.

However, I'll speculate that this is not worth your effort to try in AdSense's current state.  The ads are selected based on page content, and if Google can't figure out the content, a PublicService Announcement is dispalyed for which you get NO MONEY.  While Google can index SWF's (try searching with filetype:swf), I think it's only indexing static content, and hopefully will index the MetaData that you can put into Version 8 swfs.  But if your site is in Flex, I'm assuming it's fully dynamic content (or you've wasted an expensive server licence!), and Google won't know the content.  Maybe someone can prove me wrong....

If you're determined to get ads into your flex container, I think a better approachh is to try to make contact directly with Google (maybe through their forums) to get them to develop an API that doesn't rely on _javascript_, and maybe where you can feed in keywords.  Yahoo has an ad revenue sharing program too, and they seem to be a Flash friendly company, so you might try them as well.  There's a blog by a Yahoo person (Justin Church I think?) who posted a while back about Yahoo opening up crossdomain files, etc specifically to help Flash.

If you make any progress on getting access to an API, please let the list know.  I'm sure there would be interest and help available in developing a standard Flex component once the backend side is available.

Adam