You should be looking into createChild, you can’t do “new” for UI objects.  Check out this page in the docs: http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/15/flex_docs_en/00001064.htm

Matt

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of knly browne
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:12 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] DataGrid Bug?

Good day All.

Am developing a Web-application at the moment that displays information using Grids and Graphs..
Because of the nature of the Swfs compiled by Flex i use alot of dynamic instanciation for my views

But it seems that the DataGrid component has a bug where-by when it resides on a component/view that is instanciated dynamically it throws and error
as soon as it is created.
but if i create it by directly specifying the class i want to create with the addChild method like so..
viewcontainer.addChild(new LookOut()) then it works..

but u see i want to have on central method to create all my view that i display in the views display area, so the parameter i would pass to the Function would be the name of the Component that i want to create
 so my method would look something like this

private function createView(NameOfView:Class):Void {
        viewContainer.addChild(new NameOfClass());
}

so this method will be used across the board...but it seems if i use this method..and i have a dataGrid component within..- my view the DataGrid Component throws an error as soon as it is created..
 but!!- if i say viewContainer.addChild(new LookOut()) no error is thrown..

Really can't tell whats happening.. is this a bug..or should i just not do that..

Regards

--
Kenlie Browne
Software Developer