From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of thomasburleson
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:27 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] When ModelLocator Databinding does not work...

I would like to ask the cairngorm experts a question involving
databinding.

In a current application under development, when I need to load some
data via remoteObjects we use the .getInstance().broadcastEvent( )
which gets forwarded by our controller to the appropriate command.
The delegate dataservice call executes and the result handler is
either in a command onResult_<xxx> method or in a Delegate.create()
callback [passed with the broadcastEvent]. The result data is
massaged and assigned to a property in the ModelLocator.

Great no problem.

But what do we do when the has UI components that do not have direct
bindings to ModelLocator attributes. One trick is to use the
following databinding to fire a "build" method:

<mx:Tree id="companyTree" dataProvider="{buildFromSearchResults
(ModelLocator.companiesFoundBySearch)}" ...

This also works.

But my question is regarding views that are indirectly to
ModelLocator data. So when that data changes, I need to tell the
view to "somehow" update or reinit its contents.

Currently we use

var viewAddressEditor : Object = ViewLocator.getInstance
().getComponentByID( "addressEditorView" );
viewAddressEditor.updateContent();

But this seems SO clumsy and non-elegant. Does anyone have a better
suggestion?

Many thanks,
ThomasB