> > Why does the Flex API require use of a Shockwave
> > Control instead of simply the Flash control?
>
> I dont think this is true.

Maybe I'm just mis-understanding this (is SWC a new
way to deploy Flex Builder components or something?):

From
http://ws1.inf.scd.yahoo.com/maps/flash/flexGettingStarted.html

In order to create and test applications using Yahoo!
Flash Maps using the Flex component, you'll need...You
will also need to accept the terms and download the
Yahoo! Maps SWC (ShockWave® Control) file that
contains the Flex components.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM